Version 6.5.11 is out !!
New in this version:
* EO optimized for loading and saving profile, saving/loading progress is faster than ever.
* EO optimized for memory usage, now it only load the roms that used instead of loading everyting of the profile ... low memory resource usage.
* Added roms list thumbnail tooltip, can be configured via settings in the visual and behaviour section.
* Added rom command-lines; commandlines that can be used when launching a rom without emulator and thus the rom can be treated as executable instead of just-a-file.
* Bug when the rom file is AI path and contain more than one ")" !
* Issue when renaming big size files.
* Some bugs in the roms list view.
* The roms list view wasn't remember the latest selected thumbnail mode in the thumbnails view mode.
* After renaming a rom, the new name wasn't show in the roms list when the view mdoe is thumbnails.
* Rom info tab didn't update time play counters after playing a rom.
* Parent and children doesn't work when adding roms via add roms (no folder scan) method
* Improved the code for loading roms, now process is faster than ever and the performance increased with rom browsing.
* Improved import database file for console wizard, optimized to avoid "Out Of Memory" exceptions.
* Improved NesCard DB for nes, now it add more information about board and mapper for games.
* Improved the roms list view control, now it show tooltips in the thumbnails view mode.
* Improved roms sort process.
Download from >>[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The major change of this version is the profile file layout which improve saving and loading performance. We planned to convert EO profile system into SQL, but we found out the program will require reconstruct to accomplish such a thing, so we decided to make update that improve loading speed and performance generally as best as possible, then later we take our time for the big change.
PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR PROFILE before using it with this version. EO will open any old profile normally, then will convert it into this new version when saving that profile. After that, that profile will not be compatible with older versions of EO (versions less than 6.5)
The idea of the new profiling system that EO will not load all the profile into the memory (as it used to be), it loads only the part the user will use. For example, if you open a profile that contain 20 consoles for example, but you only load the roms of nes console (open nes console only), then only nes roms will be loaded into memory and the other roms (for the other consoles) will be still in the profile cached file.
Saving progress now faster than ever, EO will only save the roms that changed (rating for example, adding info ...etc to a rom), the roms that already saved and not changed will be just copy-paste ...this increases the saving progress about x10 times than before.
Also, roms browsing (via roms list view) now optimized so that EO will load temporary info of the roms that visible to user instead of loading everything (as it used to be), now browsing roms is also faster than ever.
EO will be SQL in version 7, we delayed that change because it requires a major reconstruction of the program and may take a long time to accomplish. This version will be sub-solution in the mean time
Also for the new feature about the rom command-lines, it work like this: Normally you want to launch a rom, you select the desired rom and the desired emulator then hit play...
When you disable the emulator via the toolbar button on via the main menu, EO will open selected rom with default windows application (if the rom is pdf for example, EO will run Adobe Reader to open that file if it is the default application for pdf files)
With new feature, you can specify command-line via the rom properties to send to the rom (not the emu) and thus EO will treat that rom as Executable file. For example, let's say we have rom called game.exe, we want to run it in EO with some commandlines, we do:
1. Select that rom (game.exe)
2. Disable Emulator via the toolbar
3. Right-mouse click to select rom properties
4. Go to Launch options
5. Add the commands you like, let's use "-l -fullscreen"
6. Save the properties then hit play (steps 3-4-5 will be done once)
EO will then send the command to the shell like this: "game.exe -l -fullscreen" (i.e. run the rom with -l -fullscreen commandlines) and then that rom will be treated as executable.
The idea is to extend the usage of EO to more than just a rom-emulator launcher, now it can be Games Launcher as well !
Remember that EO will still run the rom normally if there is no command-line specified. Just leave it empty in the properties of that rom.
For the thumbnails tooltip, you can configure the tooltip in the settings. The idea is that EO will show (if activated) a small box in the bottom displaying quick info of highlighted roms. This may a solution to the problem that the thumbnails are to small and the names are not visible probably. It can be configured to show rom name only, to show all info like rating, parent console name and path. All can be configured in EO settings.
Enjoy this release, stay tuned for the future ones !
And, Merry Christmas!